Monday, 15 December 2014

Social Group Representation

I wanted to represent the following social groups: indie rock fans, women & men, 16-25 year olds and fashion concious people.

Social Group Representation Survey:

George Coombes (male, age 16)
1) What do you like about the layout of  the magazine cover? the image is clear, so is the title and the cover lines which makes them really stand out and grab your attention.

2) Do you think it justifies indie style and how? Yes. The clothing and colouring is heavily reflected in indie style

3) What mood does the artist express and how does this relate to the indie genre? The stance is quite confident but at the same the clothing is quite relaxed and chilled reflecting a surreal image of the artist.

4) What do you like about the layout of the contents page and what would you change? I like the use of the images being quite big because you can see the artists better and I like the use of the neatness so you can clearly see the composition of how to read the layout.

5) Does the representation of the feature article change your view of the artist from the cover and what made your view change? Yes. From the front cover the artist appears to be quite serious and determined and through the images and answers of the artist it shows a more humble and comforting side to the artist. 

Aly Pugh (female, age 17)

1) What do you like about the layout of  the magazine cover? I like the positioning of the title and image layout.

2) Do you think it justifies indie style and how? The black and white imaging reflecting the indie genre. I also believe the use of the brick wall created a soft grunge look which is heavily associated with the indie genre.

3) What mood does the artist express and how does this relate to the indie genre?  He expresses a very relaxed yet hidden image from his body language being to look to the side rather than addressing the audience head on, indicating there is more to Skylar than meets the eye.

4) What do you like about the layout of the contents page and what would you change? I like the use of columns and banners and it makes it clear to read. I would possibly change the font of the advertisement at the bottom as it stands out and looks slightly odd.

5) Does the representation of feature article change your view of the artist and what made your view change? I believe it gives a more innocent affect against this strong and quite conserved image to then unfold his secrets gives you some satisfaction of being able to relate to the artist on a human level than as some celebrity that's so called "perfect".

Rachel Sanmogan (female, age 18)

1) What do you like about the layout of  the magazine cover?  I like the use of contrast with the image in black white and the cover lines being in colour.

2) Do you think it justifies indie style and how? yes, because it shows the patterned sections of the title reflect the indie style as well as the "A" looks like a triangle which is associated with the indie category. 

3) What mood does the artist express and how does this relate to the indie genre? He appears to be quite serious from his facial expressions but from his body language he seems to be very chilled and relaxed as he has his hands in his pockets and his legs spread apart in his stance.

4) What do you like about the layout of the contents page and what would you change? I like the use of columns and banners as it clearly shows the content in an organised way. But the use of pictures overlaying near the advertisement is very eye catching. I would make the text slightly bigger and bolder in some of the text boxes.

5) Does the representation of feature article change your view of the artist and what made your view change? Yes, the shot of the artist in the feature article has a more personal presence and address by looking towards the audience and represents a kindness within him.

George Flowers (male, age 20)

1) What do you like about the layout of  the magazine cover? I really like the use of colour against the black and white soft grunge background.

2) Do you think it justifies indie style and how? I think the clothing and the dominant image tone is very suited to the indie style and it is clear that it is indie rock not just rock as the clothes he his wearing are more chilled and doesn't look too serious or drastic in making a statement through clothing.

3) What mood does the artist express and how does this relate to the indie genre? He expresses a very mellow and chilled stance against the wall and this also reflects him as an average guy as he's not taken to some posh studio he's actually out in the world near some wall which makes it more personal. 

4) What do you like about the layout of the contents page and what would you change? I like the use of a colour scheme it really brings out the sections of the contents. I would change the use of section banners to divide each sub title category.

5) Does the representation of feature article change your view of the artist and what made your view change? I believe the cover photo presents the artist as quite and unapproachable person but after reading the article as well as seeing the second photo you start to connect with the artist on a human level and I find it easier to understand his background and style from how he acts and what he likes to do and comes off as.



Conclusion - The feedback I got back was very positive and was appropriate towards my target audience and genre. I also found that I had some places for improvement within my layout and style of magazine.

Social Group Representation - Mood board of potential qualities within my target audience. 

I used gender stereotypes by using the red and blue font colours to attract the male gender as well as using and atractive male to attract women.







No comments:

Post a Comment